Monday, June 22, 2009

Bon Fresco: Now Open

I haven't posted in over a week. Have I gone AWOL? Are the lack of posts the result of some turbulent mix of apathy and stupor? Actually, I've been busy with my MsgworX internship and landscape engineering for Mom Duke.

I've also spent a few hours here and there at Bon Fresco, four more today for the official opening of the restaurant. Little things like the bus-yellow wall tiles, Micros heat tape tickers and plastic containers filled with baguettes remind me of Atlanta Bread Company.

Gerald Koh, the owner and manager of Bon Fresco says he's changing the menu slightly. For Howchow and any other curious patrons, I've scanned a copy of the handbill menu I've pedaled and peddled to the surrounding office structures. The bottom of the menu cuts off on the Capri, so I've listed it below:

Capri: Prosciutto, Genoa salami, capicola and provolone with lettuce, roasted red peppers, hot peppers, onions and vinaigrette on ciabatta.

The layout of the restaurant is similar to that of Chipotle, one of the restaurants with which Bon Fresco is competing for your business. Orders are picked up at the counter adjacent to the front doors and taken at the opposite end of the counter. Bon Fresco is small however and only seats 27.

So what makes Bon Fresco any different from Panera Bread or Subway? I'm sure there are many patrons pondering this point, as have I. The ingredients. As Koh has stated before, he wants everything to be fresh, so he won't refridgerate tomatoes nor will he buy them with the additive spray film even if this means 86ing tomatoes for the rest of the shift. All of the bread is made on site, by hand. No frozen-boxed baguettes here.

Business has been slow primarily due to lack of advertising, so get the word out. The more guests Koh gets, the more hours I get. If the management is sound and the operation is streamlined, then the business should succeed. The food will sell itself.

Bon Fresco is located in Dobbin, behind Ledo's Pizza. Here's the street address for all of you Google mappers:

6945 Oakland Mills road (At the corner of Oakland Mills road and Snowden River parkway).

So is it ethical for me to report on a business I work for? Honestly, when I was in J-School at Towson, I was given the choice of electives; either take media ethics or media law. Complimentary to my character, I chose media law.

As for objectivitiy, well that's a subject better explained by Hunter S. Thompson. Refer to Fear And Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72, page 33.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.