Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Angela Dorn: A younger perspective


Angela Dorn has lived near Jeffer's Hill Elementary for 17 years. When she was young, she says, Friday nights were spent at the ice skating rink or the roller rink. The rest of the weekend, Angela would hang out with her friends at the mall or around the neighborhood.

Dorn points out that while growing up in a diverse town like Columbia she had white friends and she had black friends, in fact she had a diverse mix of friends. She has noticed in the past that kids that came to Columbia from another town would usually only congregate with people of their race.

When asked about the most memorable places in Town, Dorn thinks for a bit . . . the lake front, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Dobbin Center, Sewells Orchard . . . and Allview. Dorn says these places hold meaning to her. Growing up in Owen Brown, I remember the good times I've had in Allview, the sick concerts at Merriweather, and of course skateboarding behind WalMart.

"I spent a lot of my time in those neighborhoods," says Dorn. I think of Dobbin Center. I could walk there from my house and my friends and I would always walk the paths to get to it."


Dorn, who lives near Jeffer's Hill has seen the has seen the new Baptist Church being erected near Locust Park. This was her response:

"I did not even really know there were a lot of religious centers being built. I knew about interfaith centers, but not those. I do not pay much attention to trivial things like that. If Columbia built itself with "Diversity" in mind, then there should be no reason for religious buildings of all types to be unacceptable."

Dorn thinks Columbia has expanded. The closer and closer Columbia gets to becoming an actual city, the more nervous she becomes. I've heard plans of high rises and things like that being built. I also heard a rumor about taking out Lakefront to do this. I think that would be a big mistake.

“I think there just needs to be more things for younger people to do! If you're not going out to eat, to the mall, or the movies, you are not left with a lot of options. An arcade or teen center with games and things would be fun and a great, cheap way for teens to spend their time.”

No comments: