Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Goodbye Giorgio's


The doors have closed on Giorgio's Deli for good. A few years back, management changed hands and with it, the service. Residents I've spoken to remember Giorgio putting extra slices of meat on their sandwiches, something the new owners failed to observe.

The morning commuters, lunch rushers and Lincoln Tech students will have to find a new deli for sandwiches and salads. I remember reaching into the waist high ice cream freezer for the cups of Hersey's Strawberry ice cream that I couldn't find anywhere else.

I remember my father peeking behind the counter to greet Giorgio and catch up as he prepared our subs. Giorgio's was my first introduction to pepperoncini peppers, a taste I still find unpalatable. Beyond that I don't remember much more than muted flashbacks. What do you recall from Giorgio's and what will you miss?

No comments: