Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gist of GGP Public Hearing


Last week, I learned about the last public hearing over ZRA-113. Last Wednesday, I rented a top of the line GL-2 video camera complete with tripod. In preparation for the shoot, I took no chances, making sure both batteries and both backup batteries were completely charged. I even bought a used, wiped mini DV tape from the EMF rental office. I was set.

Thursday evening, I arrived at the Tyson 2 room after the public hearing had started. The last public hearing I had attended took place in the cafeteria of Wilde Lake High School. "This should be a smooth one." I said to myself upon entering the building. But when I finally made my way to the room where the meeting was underway, "f--k" I muttered to myself.

The actual meeting room was a 30 x 30 hot box. Waves of heat permeate the audience while waves of flourescent light made my attempts at a white balance futile. Not that there were many places to actually film a good sequence. Everywhere I looked, legs were shaking, pages were fanning and no one in the room looked a day under 35.

So after dropping the GL-2 idea, I did what any good reporter would do. I snatched out my Digital recorder, plugged in the microphone, and squeezed the two between my knees. With a chair in the second row as my news desk, I scribbled notes on the orange note pad I had originally sat on. What follows are the clearest recordings I could capture and present to you, my readers.

Toby Orenstein's Testimony
David Barrett's Testimony
Cynthia Coyle's Testimony
Barbara Russell's Testimony

No comments: