Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Behold: Bon Fresco

There's a new sandwich shop in Snowden called Bon Fresco. As I walked past the brick box building, I peeked inside and snapped a picture. One of the contractors told me they'd finish in a week or so.

Immediately, I thought of Atlanta Bread Company. Both as a journalist and a former sandwich shop slave wage I feel that I have a valid perspective on the fiscal future of this venture. When Atlanta Bread Company hired me, they were still building the place, so I got to walk around with a nail gun and electric screwdriver! Competition they said, what competition? Panera Bread, Three Brothers and several Subways later, they caved after one year.

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. We don't need another sandwich shop concept. I can't believe I'm saying this but we don't need another Indian restaurant either. The building of Bon Fresco in Snowden seems almost as pointless as installing a Vocelli's pizza in the Owen Brown village center across from Jerry's pizza.

I predict that Bon Fresco will flare up like the flame on a candle and flutter out. Hopefully the place will employ competent management and a staff comprised of more than hispanics and high schoolers but realistically, they'd be fighting entrenched concepts that have done well without them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the food, then say a comment. The food is great & your comment would be too.

Anonymous said...

Food is great. Cooked by the owner. Speaking of the owner he is somone who has had successful deli's and restaurants in the area for years. Don't knock it until you try it.
go

Jack said...

I work at Bon Fresco, so I know about the food. Every trust me and not your judgment, try the Venice sandwich. Neither will let you down.

Anonymous said...

The staff is so friendly! I walked in and I was immediately greeted and given a taste-test of their dessert and several types of bread. It's not "another sandwich shop concept" as the journalist has said.

Jo Anne said...

I tried Bon Fresco for the first time yesterday. The sandwich I bought was delicious. It's not far from me and I know I'll be going back. I'm sorry you feel the need to condemn it right out of the box. Also, any Columbian - especially one who claims to be a life-long Columbia resident and should KNOW the inclusive and welcoming history of this community - should be offended by your comment that you hope the place will employ "more than hispanics and high schoolers." While age may play a role in competency, ethnicity certainly does not.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the staff will be comprised of more than Hispanics? Wow. Did you not realize how racist that was when you wrote it?

Anonymous said...

Great Sandwich!!!! The Owner is very personable!!! It's the best sandwich I ever tasted.