Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Columbia Flier & Crime

An article in the Columbia Flier, written by Luke Broadwater, really caught my attention. A while back, Long Reach village applied for a grant to deal with gang related problems. Two weeks ago, a friend of mine, lets call him Frank, told me he's seen an increase of gang related activity around town. Frank keeps a gun on him at all times and knows the streets.

Frank told me about an MS-13 gang member who threatened him and some friends outside of the Dunkin Donuts in the Harper's Choice village center. Frank says a blue four door sedan with tinted windows pulled up where he and some friends were sitting, smoking cigarettes, and hanging out. A hispanic man pointed a gun at the group and asked them if they had a problem.

Frank lives behind the Sunoco gas station in Owen Brown. He says there have been drug busts on his street (Kerry Hill court) before. Frank stays out of Knighthood Lane, Quiet Hours and Talisman Lane in Owen Brown. Like me, Frank uses the buses for public transportation. Every bus driver I've spoken to has told me in so many words that the brown route is no joke.

Another article by the Columbia Flier prompted me to scroll through the comments. Whether or not the murders and various crimes in Columbia are gang related isn't the issue. The fact that the police presence isn't great enough is. When I took the picture for this post, I asked the officers why they were walking around the village center at 2 p.m. on a Wednesday. They told me they make rounds to make their presence known when they have the time and that their work keeps them busy elsewhere.

I think the police presence needs to be stepped up in all of the neighborhoods. Redirect police resources away from trying to catch Johns in Jessup.

No comments: