Monday, April 6, 2009

To "the" Readers of Columbia Blog Project:

I say "the" readers because you aren't my readers. I don't control the conversation, I engage in it, because the conversation has been taking place since 1967.

The success of Columbia Blog Project has exceeded my expectations in three short months. Every morning, after I put in my contacts, I check my analytics. Today, I'm expecting CBP to break the 4,000 hit mark.

I don't measure the success in hits however. While making calls yesterday, one of the men who answered thanked me for what he called a great public service. As a journalist, I feel there is no greater compliment I could receive. For that reason, I've measured the success of CBP by the feedback.

Some of the feedback has been negative though. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank a certain someone. She recommended I create a disclaimer regarding comments. Aside from the rules of engagement set forth by most disclaimers, I've added a clause which states in simple terms; if you're leaving a comment, keep it pertinent to the post but if you just feel like taking me down a peg, don't waste your effort, I 'lol' . . . and delete the comment. If you'd like to send me hate mail, I'd like to read it and possibly post an excerpt. Here's the address: thegonzojournalist@gmail.com

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you the reader. If you've left a comment, thank you. If you've scanned a post or two, thank you. If you've downloaded the free podcasts or watched the video and sound slides, thank you. And if you'd stop . . . just for a minute--and tell me how I'm doing, I'd thank you for it.

Its funny, in every interview, I ask what's worked and what hasn't? So tell me how I'm doing? What would you like to see more of? What post concepts haven't worked well? I want to get to know you as well. Tell me about your blogging and info-snacking habits. When are you reading my posts? Are you scrolling when you should be working, or after dinner? Are you a daily digest, or a weekend web-head?

No comments: