Saturday, April 11, 2009

Secret of the Pho

In Owen Brown, there's a Vietnamese restaurant called An Loi. It's a small, hole in the wall restaurant known for its pho, pronounced fa. Every time I sit down for beef wrapped in grape leaves, a tri-color bean dessert or their famous pho, I see Vietnamese residents sitting down for lunch or dinner. A good sign.

In the past I've asked HowChow and last night I asked the staff as well. "What's in the broth for the pho?" They say its a secret, that they can't tell me and that the recipe is too complex to whip up in 30 minutes. They know that I know that they know but they won't tell me what's in the broth.

The broth is slightly sweet, salty and buttery too! My tongue detects no spices or herbs. Every spoonful is a symphony and a mystery! So now I'm asking the readers of this blog for their help. Of course you win a prize if you can tell me what's in the broth!

No comments: