Friday, April 17, 2009

Left On Lake Elkhorn, Right?

I like to bicycle around lake Elkhorn among other places in Columbia, primarily because I live right on the edge. I'm sure this sounds pedantic to most and excessive to some but I wish people understood which side of the path to walk on in relation to the direction they are traveling in.

In America we drive on the right side of the road going forwards and on the left going backwards respectively. This is a fairly simple concept for me to grasp and for most people I would imagine. Yet every single time I bike around Lake Elkhorn, I see people walking towards me on the right side of the path.

How can you pass a pedestrian or group of pedestrians on the if they walk shoulder to shoulder? Some people walk confidently towards me on the right side of the path as though they truly believe they are in the right. My favorites are the people who walk on either side holding a stroller in one hand and a dog leash in the other; with an energetic dog at the other end of the leash.

I've never hit anybody though sometimes I may give the offender a rat face. This is in no way a major problem but if you're still reading this, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations on you. Have a nice weekend and if you have a little free time tomorrow, go out and volunteer your time to help clean up Columbia's green space!

No comments: