Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Space: The Final Frontier

Sorry Trek fans, no voyages today. But if you think about Columbia in the sense of space, then building on vacant lots or recently acquired parcels is the final frontier. Near the intersection of Broken Land parkway and Snowden River parkway buildings are being constructed. The same is true with the intersection of Route 175 and Thunder Hill road.

The lot I'm talking about however lies at the edge of the so called Oakland Mills village center across from Bangkok Gardens where the gas station used to be. Only recently have I found out that there used to be a gas station there--and that's what I love about Columbia, I discover something new everyday.

Everytime I ride the brown route to the mall, I try to imagine what could fill that vacant lot as the bus drives past. Why not build a skate park there? Yeah that seems like a good idea execpt that as soon as you leave said designated skate park you'd get hassled or busted for riding through the so called village center. Absolute bulls--t.

Correct me if I'm wrong but some people have proposed housing of some sort be built on the lot. I think the next logical idea would be to put a gas station back, perhaps with a Subway inside? Unlike the Sunoco in Owen Brown, I don't think it would get robbed because of the Howard County police trailer behind Bangkok Gardens.

In my opinion, this issue needs to be tackled and perhaps bundled with the redevelopment that the village center so sorely needs. It has no drawing power other than the sheer human necessity for bread and grain alcohol.

No comments: